The Student News Site of Angeline Academy of Innovation

The Bowman's Beacon

The Bowman's Beacon

The Bowman's Beacon

A timeless treasure: ‘Fallout 4’

A golden game through the eras.
KillboxGraphics
A killer croc roaming through the remains of concord after the bombings.

In an era marked by groundbreaking video games, “Fallout 4”, originally released in 2015, stands out as an enduring masterpiece that continues to captivate gaming enthusiasts worldwide. Developed by Bethesda Game Studios, this post-apocalyptic role-playing game has proven to be a timeless classic, blending immersive storytelling, dynamic gameplay, and cutting-edge graphics.

The game opens in a bathroom, with the gamer staring into a mirror which then leads you to your character customizations which you can adjust to your preferences with Bethesda’s creation engine.

“I really liked the different hairstyles and stuff,” seventh-grade student Miles Curren said.

What sets “Fallout 4” apart is its innovative use of the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system, allowing players to customize their character’s attributes and skills, influencing interactions, and shaping the overall gaming experience, though some seasoned players may find it vexing.

“It does have some pretty good mechanics, some are annoying but realistic, like if you carry 200 pounds of stuff in your backpack then you can’t run,” ninth-grade student Lyn Selego said.

The dynamic dialogue system adds depth, enabling players to make choices that impact the game’s outcome, fostering a sense of agency and personal investment.

“Fallout 4’s” narrative unfolds in a world ravaged by a nuclear bomb, where players navigate a vast open-world landscape filled with intricate details and interesting characters. The game’s storyline, set in the year 2287, follows the protagonist’s quest for their kidnapped child Shaun. In the desolate world, the player encounters factions, mutants, and moral dilemmas as they progress through the journey.

“I like how your suppose to save your son through a first person shooter game,” seventh-grade student Alex Mrowczynski said.

During your playthrough, you will encounter other non-playable characters (NPCS) that will most likely be around to help the protagonist with their own journey. Meanwhile, some other NPCS will be out to hunt you down and end your character, such as “The Brotherhood of Steel”, “The Minutemen” , “The Railroad” and “The Raiders”.

“They have really good well written characters like someone called Nick Valentine that’s just like a synthetic human like the brain of a robot and like crazy raiders who roam the wasteland, and want to end you,” Selago said.

Your character is not limited to just rescuing Shaun, you can just admire the cutting-edge graphics and strange mutants by exploring the vast map.

Visually, “Fallout 4” broke new ground in 2015, boasting a rich and detailed environment with a distinct retro-futuristic aesthetic. The game’s graphics, ahead of its time is acknowledged by many players. This created a visually stunning and atmospheric experience, drawing players into the eerie beauty of a post-nuclear landscape.

The game’s expansive open-world design and intricate questlines provide endless opportunities for exploration and discovery. From the bustling city of Diamond City to the desolate landscapes of the Glowing Sea, each location tells a story and contributes to the overall immersive experience.

Even after nearly two decades, “Fallout 4” maintains a dedicated fan base, with mods and community-created content keeping the game fresh and relevant. Its impact on the gaming industry is undeniable, influencing subsequent titles and setting a high standard for open-world RPGs.

As we celebrate “Fallout 4’s” remarkable journey since its release in 2015, it is evident that its legacy continues to endure, proving that a well-crafted game transcends its initial release and remains a source of joy and inspiration for gamers around the globe.