The Student News Site of Angeline Academy of Innovation

The Bowman's Beacon

The Bowman's Beacon

The Bowman's Beacon

The Smashing Pumpkins- alt rock legends

Ninth-grade+student+Aviyanna+Faison+pulls+up+The+Smashing+Pumpkins+on+her+Spotfiy+app.+
Mrs. Swain
Ninth-grade student Aviyanna Faison pulls up The Smashing Pumpkins on her Spotfiy app.

In the hot, humid air of Tampa in August, The Smashing Pumpkins came onstage and played a few songs from their latest album, “Atum: A Rock Opera in Three Acts.” The Smashing Pumpkins are an alternative rock band that rose to fame in the 1990s and is still together today, despite a brief hiatus.

“I got into them more when I was in Italy, but they didn’t tour there when I was there,” freshman Nicholas Laurenco said. “I’d love to go to one of their concerts.”

The Smashing Pumpkins are not as popular with teenagers today as they are with adults who grew up with them, like Angeline band teacher, Mr. Luckett. He first heard The Smashing Pumpkins “back when MTV still played music videos,” Luckett explained.

He was talking about the 1990s when The Smashing Pumpkins rose to fame. After 2010, MTV stopped playing music videos, requiring fans to learn about them through other means.

Nicholas Laurenco found out about them from his older cousin, Scarlet.

“She had like a playlist and one day she played it, and I was like, ‘Oh can you send it to me,'” Laurenco said.

After that, a Smashing Pumpkins fan was made.

The cover of The Smashing Pumpkin’s third album, “Gish”. (Virgin Records)

Whether it’s their moody vibe, or Jimmy Chamberlain’s or Mike Byrne’s drumming skills, each fan has a different thing they like most about the band.

“I love the guitar tones,” Luckett said.

He is talking about Billy Corgan, the band’s frontman, lead guitarist, and founder. The band was formed in 1988, and internal fighting and drug use within the band led to their breakup in 2000. But they reunited in 2006, with new band members coming and going.

The Smashing Pumpkins endured, and are still together and releasing albums. Their most recent one was released on May 5. On Spotify, they have 10.8 million monthly listeners. They made music that is popular with people of all ages and are considered one of the most influential bands in the alt-rock community.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Bowman's Beacon

Your donation will support the student journalists of Angeline Academy of Innovation. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.